Sunday, October 17, 2010

原點手工烘培: Original Bakery in Taipei

A view of the different bagels and a blueberry filled bread on the middle rack
Who doesn't love a bakery with freshly hand made bread baked and brought out right in front of you? A fellow foodie friend (what a great use of alliteration here) and I decided to seek out a place for coffee and good afternoon snack. She suggested a bakery that has hand made bread, cheesecake, bagels, and cookies near the Chung-Hsiao area. After walking around for about 15 minutes we finally found the place in a random backstreet.


There were a couple of tables outside and a few more inside. As I walked in, the smell of freshly baked bread immediately hit my senses. Different types of bread were brought out one by one. Many were already pre-ordered and put into large sacks waiting for people to pick them up. I walked around the small bakery trying to decide what I want. Everything looked so good. From regular toast to rolls to bread with fillings such as sesame, rosemary, olives and cheese, walnuts, blueberry, curry, ham and cheese, etc. Not to mention another row of deliciously looking bagels. I thought I had already made a decision on what I want when suddenly I saw the baker bring out some mysteriously looking bread. As she puts each of them into sack and sack, I asked her what it was. She told me that it's a type of roll stuffed with sweet taro. HELLO! Did I hear taro? But she said it has all been pre-ordered. Before my spirit sunk too low another person came out and said there are 2 more left. My friend and I took them before she said another word.


My coffee and taro roll, yummmmm!
We took our seat, waiting anxiously to dig into the roll. The best part was that it was still nice and warm. I tore the roll into 2 pieces and took a bite. The ouside dough was nice and soft while the taro filling was chunky, flavorful, and not too sweet. It was needless to say, satisfying to the extreme. I ate each bite slowly, wishing that I would never finish it.



A view of the freshly baked bread!
It was seriously not the best place to sit and chat. I was constantly distracted by the different types of bread that were being brought out. The smell was also just as overwhelming. When a type of cinnamon bread was brought out, my friend couldn't resist and decided to buy another loaf of bread.



Other than bread, the bakery also specializes in cheesecake, tiramisu, as well as other varieties of cake. I only wish I had enough room in my stomach to try them all.



I brought back a list of the stuff they sell so the next time I can call ahead and reserve what I want before they run out! I highly recommend this place as it is harder and harder to find a independently owned bakery in a competitive city like Taipei.



原點is located in 大安區四維路22巷7號. It is open on Monday to Saturday from 12:00-8pm with freshly baked bread coming out starting from 12:30pm and fresh bagels starting from 4:30pm. They also sell homemade jam and cream cheese too! You can call ahead and reserve the bread you want at (02)2706-4368

No comments:

Post a Comment