Thursday, January 14, 2010

My love affair with Balsamic Vinagrette

I have recently discovered that balsamic vinagrette is probably the best ingredient to use in cooking. It can be used in just about everything from fish to vegetables to sauces, etc. And it's also a healthy alternative! One suggestion I would make is to invest in a really good bottle of BV, because a bottle actually goes a long way, and you want to have the best and full-bodied flavored as possible! Here are some simple recipes that I've used for salad dressings, for marinating fish, as well as vegetable stir fry.

All the recipes will be for a single serving, but feel free to double it or triple it!

  • Balsamic Vinagrette Salad Dressing:
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinagrette
1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tbsp Mustard (I like the ones with seeds in it, but feel free to use any kind)
Whisk them together and drizzle over your favorite salad!
What I usually like to do is warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave and then top it on arugula salad, it wilts the arugula down just a bit, and makes it extra yummy!

  • Balsamic Vinagrette Wine Reduction Sauce:
A while back I made this amazing vegetable soup out of celery, carrots, tomatoes, red peppers, onions, etc. It was some of the best soup I've ever had. I also had a bottle of wine that's been opened for a while that wasn't suitable for drinking. So I thought, why don't I attempt to make a wine reduction sauce out of it? The recipe is approximate, I'm not a person who strictly adhere to any recipes anyway, so use it only as a reference :)

1/2 cup of homemade vegetable soup (drained)
1/2 cup of red wine
2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinagrette

Combine all ingredients in a small pot, let it simmer for about 1-2 hours.
Use it with brussel sprouts, broccoli, or marinate any type of meat with it.

  • Baked Salmon with honey balsamic vinagrette
1 piece of salmon about 6 to 8 oz lightly season with salt and pepper
For the sauce
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinagrette
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp mustard
1 tsp rosemary
Whisk sauce together, marinate salmon in the sauce, make sure to do it on both sides. Put the rest of the sauce on top of the salmon. Bake in oven at 400 deg. for about 10 minutes.
I hope you'll enjoy these as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment