Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chinatown Coffee Company

I'm sure many of you, like me, are sick and tired of seeing only Starbucks or Caribou coffee around Washington, DC and its suburbs. What's even more disappointing is that more and more independently owned coffee shops are shutting down. I'm not big into espresso drinks, I mainly drink black drip coffee. What I really longed for is a cafe with freshly brewed coffee right as you order them, nothing served in a giant pot that's been sitting there for who knows how long.


I had read about "Chinatown Coffee Company" in the Washington Post a while back. I remember trying to find it once without writing down the address, not very smart of me. This time I made sure I have the address and phone number with me, so that nothing less than a visit would satisfy me!


It's a nice and cozy cafe by 5th and H Street. The interior is simple, but has a comfortable feeling. It has brick walls lined with photography from all over the world. There are maybe about 10 tables inside. I got super excited when I learned that they serve both french press and hand-pour coffee as well as your usual espresso drinks and a selection of baked goods. My friend and I shared a large pot of French Press coffee with Brazilian coffee beans. It was enough to pour 2 mugs and more. All for around $4.50. It is such a rare treat to find a place that serves up fresh and aromatic coffee. The baristas were nice, friendly, and very patient with me as I asked them about the different coffee and prices. The nutty flavors of the coffee plus the ambiance of the coffee shop made me want to stay there for hours and hours. The place offers free wi-fi as well. I think my only complaint would be that the chairs aren't particularly comfortable, therefore, it's hard to sit after a few hours.

But generally, if you want a nice coffee drinking experience from a place that's not ubiquitous around the world, Chinatown Coffee Company is definitely worth checking out!

For more information check out their website http://www.chinatowncoffee.com/




1 comment:

  1. Uncomfortable seats is how they keep people from tenting in the coffee shops. The thing about the burgers is that they have to be fresh not frozen even the buns have to be fresh. Great blog you need to take me w/ you on your next trip.

    ReplyDelete