Saturday, January 16, 2010

Evening of take out and fine wine

Wine is another one of my pleasures in life. For me there is nothing better than a nice glass of wine with a nice meal. Recently I've started to learn more and more about wine. I suggested to my friend Amy to have a wine night at my place. We started off the evening with watching "A Single Man" at the AFI in Silver Spring. The movie was very artistically crafted and very abstract. The music was even more amazing. We then met up with our friend Rebecca to get take out at "The Greek Place" located on Georgia Avenue. Not only do I enjoy fine dining, I also love cheap and authentic take out places that are always a good treat to find!
I ordered the Grilled Shrimp Greek Salad, which came with 5 giant shrimps, pita bread, on top of lettuce, feta cheese, tomatoes, olives, onions and capers. The flavor of the shrimp was amazing! This all for just under $10.
Amy and Rebecca ordered the Falafel Platter, that came with a side of yummy orzo pasta and Greek salad. We were all very hungry, and finished our enormous amount of food!


We stopped by the county wine store before the movie. Before I left the house I was reading some notes that I've taken in the past of some good and decently priced wine. I thought that a good pinot noir would go well with some light Greek fare. Nothing looked decent the first trip down the aisle. Then on one of the wine racks, I saw a bottle of Cambria, Julia Vineyard's Pinot Noir from Santa Maria Valley California. The 2006 vintage was named by wine enthusiast last year as "the best pinot noir at this price on the market." The store had the 2007 vintage on sale for $18. It's more expensive than what I would normally pay for a bottle of wine, but I felt like it would be worth the splurge!

The wine was just amazing, the first sip was a bit dry, but smooth. It had a hint of cherry and a bit of cinnamon. The wine tasted better and better as it had time to breath in the glass. It went very well with my Shrimp Salad!



Amy and I were both very disappointed when the bottle was empty. "that's it?!" NOOOOO!



Hey, who said a nice dinner can't consist of cheap take-out in plastic containers and a bottle of expensive wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment