Friday, June 4, 2010

Making Terrine: take 1!

During my trip to France this past March, I discovered the world of pates and terrines. The French are so adept at taking parts of animals that we typically wouldn't want or use into something that looks and tastes amazing.

My parents and I raided butcher shops in France trying out different things made from rabbit, livers, "head cheese", etc. the possibilities were endless!! The best ones were those that had a flaky crust surrounding the terrine.
Before we left France, I bought a cookbook and 2 packages of gelatin ready to take up the challenge on my own.
However, I was afraid to try at first. Most of the meat described in the recipes weren't widely available in this area. Yesterday, I finally decided to tackle it with Salmon (yes, I still have a freezer full of Salmon left from my last restaurant job.) I look through various recipes for salmon rillettes and ended up creating my own recipe that I can incorporate into the terrine.



For 4 servings
  • 4-6 oz Salmon

  • 2 hard boiled eggs

  • Juice of 1 lemon

  • 6 - 8 cornichons (I like lots and lots)

  • 1 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar

  • 1-2 spring onion (depending on size)

  • Fresh Parsley

  • Dried or Fresh Dill

  • 2 TBSP grainy mustard (please don't use gross French's mustard for this!)

  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions:
  • Poach the salmon in a large pot; remove and let cool

  • Boiled the eggs; let it cool; peel the shells and slice it into 4 or 5 pieces

  • Follow the directions on whichever gelatin mix you have

  • In a mixing bowl combine all other ingredients

  • Once the salmon cools combine with the mixture

  • Set out 4 molds (or 1 large one or 2, doesn't really matter)

  • Scoop about 2 TBSPs worth of mixture into each of the 4 molds

  • Once the gelatin liquid has cooled of a bit pour it into the molds

  • Carefully put 2 egg slices into each mold

  • Refrigerate for at least 3 hours

Trust me once it comes out, you'll feel like you've never seen anything more beautiful! Try out your own variations, the possibilities are endless!


No comments:

Post a Comment