Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lunch at the bar at 701 Restaurant

I love dining out, but at the same time, I can't afford to eat off the regular menu in the majority of the restaurants in DC, so I take full advantage when I know of a special lunch deal. Many fancy restaurants in DC offers deals if you dine at the bar/lounge area during lunch hour. This attracts many business people around the neighborhood or people like me who have nothing to do on a Tuesday afternoon. I have been to Proof a few times for their $12 lunch at the bar special. You get to pick a glass of red or white wine and an entree. A great deal given the quality of the food and wine. It also gives you an excuse to have a glass of wine at lunch!
After meeting a friend in Chinatown for coffee today, I decided to treat myself to lunch. I was close to walking into the doors of Proof, knowing that I would not be disappointed. However, at the very last minute I decided to be adventurous and try something different. So I walked a few blocksd own to Pennsylvania Avenue, into 701 Restaurant. The lunch special at 701 is similar to that of Proof. You get a glass of wine and an entree, but for $15. What 701 offers is a choice between the 3 white wines and 3 red wines, whereas Proof only offers one of each.
I asked for a tasting of the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon Blanc. The bartender was more than willing to let me try both. I usually like the full body character of Chardonnay, but in the end I decided on the Horse Heaven Sauvignon Blanc from Washington State. It had a light and crisp grapefruit flavor to it. The Chardonnay from Argentina had a bit of a cough medicine aftertaste which I didn't appreciate too much.
They had a great selection for entrees. It offered 2 pasta dishes, a burger, a grilled cheese, and a steak salad. I debated between the 2 pastas and decided on the Goat Cheese Cavatellis in the end. I have never had cavatellis before, and was excited to try it. The dish had a beautiful presentation. It was topped with artichokes, oyster mushrooms, broccoli, goat cheese, parmesean cheese, and a perfectly poached slow cooked egg. The sauce was made of white wine and butter and complemented well with the pasta and vegetables. The cavatellis had a doughy and chewy texture. The egg was soft with a runny yolk. I loved the way the egg was cooked, however, I felt like it was a bit out of place with the dish. My favorite by far was the generous portions of oyster mushrooms in the dish. While the dish was called "Goat Cheese Cavatellis", I found that there was actually more parmesean cheese than goat cheese. The dish was also a bit too greasy. After I scooped off my last piece of cavatellis, I found a pool of oil still lingering on the plate. The dish would've had more of a kick to it had I asked for hot pepper flakes to go with it. My selection of wine though ended up being a great pairing for te dish. It had enough taste to it yet didn't overpower the dish.
The service was great. The bartender was nice and chatty. He even poured me a little extra wine after I had finished my last sip.
I was really surprised to find how empty the bar was when I walked in at 1:30pm, but I wasn't complaining. It's not everyday that you can dine quietly and peacefully at one of the most touristy areas in DC.
I highly recommend 701's lunch at the bar for their selection of wine and entrees, the ambiance, great service and location. I will definitely go back to try some of their other entrees (and wine, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment