Thursday, February 4, 2010

RW: Tavira in Chevy Chase

Oh yes, restaurant week ended in DC, and a lot of foodies like me are disappointed that we're going to have to wait for the summer to have another chance or excuse rather to fine dining!
Good thing Bethesda decided to have their own version of Restaurant Week. Bethesda, a suburb of DC located in Montgomery, Maryland boasts its own share of excellent restaurants. It's restaurant week offered a $15 lunch or a $30 dinner course. Knowing me, I opted for the lunch.
I decided to try out, Tavira, a Portugese restaurant that I have read great reviews about. I have never had Portuguese food in my life, and a lot of my friends hadn't either. There was also a coupon for a free bottle of wine, and hey who can say no to that?
My friends, Dorothy, Simon, and of course Amy joined me for this fun dining adventure.
The ambiance of the restaurant was very pleasant. As we walked in, I could already smell the many wonderful dishes that they had to offer.

For RW, they offered their "Taste of Portugal" menu which for the appetizers came with the choices of :

Caldo Verde
: Portugal’s National soup, shredded kale, onions, potatoes & olive oil, garnished with chouriço

Salada da Horta: Fresh market greens, tomatoes, onions with Mediterranean dressing
Bacalhau à Braz
Shredded salted cod sautéed with onions in olive oil, combined with straw potatoes, olives and egg
Lombo de Porco a Caçador
Pork loin with wild mushrooms, braised in brandy Croft, served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Frango à Piri-piri
Grilled chicken, Portuguêse style in Piri Piri sauce (hot spicy pepper sauce), served with home made potato chips
Caldeirada Portuguêsa
A traditional Portuguêse fish stew with shrimp, clams, mussels, sea scallops, potatoes
Parrilhada Mariscos
A traditional Iberian mixed seafood charbroiled on a skewer, served with aioli
Simon and I ordered the Charbroiled mixed seafood while Amy and Dorothy ordered the shredded cod. When the food came out, we were definitely wowed by the presentation of the Seafood skewer!

The taste of the seafood, however, was a bit bland and under-seasoned. It could've used a lot more taste as I found myself pour balsamic vinagrette over all the pieces. The rice was a good base to go along with the seafood.

The shredded cod was definitely an interesting dish. You definitely don't expected it to be what it was. First of all, there was very little taste of cod in it because it was blend up with so many different things. It was a bit on the salty side. The dish also tasted like a breakfast/brunch entree because of the eggs and potatoes inside. However, it still tasted mildly pleasant.
The dessert had to be the best part. Amy and I ordered the flan while Simon and Dorothy had the chocolate cake with ice cream.

The flan had to be one of the best that I have ever tasted. It was soft and creamy inside, and not to sweet for someone who likes my dessert on the lighter side. The portion was just right, and it was the perfect way to finish the meal.
Overall, it was a very nice meal, although the appetizers and desserts definitely outshone the main entree. I'd definitely recommend their "Taste of Portugal" menu as even during none RW days, they offer it at a special price, and it's a great way to try out some Portuguese favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment