Monday, January 2, 2012

Parisian Pickpocketers and Scammers

Paris is probably one of the most touristic cities in the world.  And for good reasons, the city has an endless list of things to offer to tourists.  But of course, as we all know, with the good, there comes the bad. 
Tourists are easy targets for skilled pickpocketers and scammers.  As I myself have experienced both. 
I consider myself a fairly careful person, but obviously I was outsmarted a few times, or at least almost.
Two years ago, I took my parents to France on a three week trip.  Paris was our last stop.  We took the TGV from Bordeaux to Paris Montparnasse.  We got on the metro with our huge luggage, and immediately a young girl offered to help us with our luggage.  As soon as I got on the metro, I thought, I had better check my messenger bag.  Surely enough, the buckle had been undone.  Luckily for me I had stuffed my smaller purse inside of it, so it was hard to take anything from inside.  As soon as I realized this I look to my mom, and saw that I could not see her purse.  I told her to immediately check for her things, and she too realized that someone had unzipped her purse.  But for some reason she had a towel at the very top of her purse, so again, it was hard to take anything from inside.  A few minutes later, a lady picked up my dad's wallet from the ground and gave it to him, saying that someone had tried to take it from his pocket.  All three of us had been targeted, and I guess we were just extremely lucky that nothing got stolen from us. 
The thing is, pickpocketers often work in groups.  They target tourists, especially ones with a lot of stuff on their hands.  They use kids as a distraction while the adults get to work.  It's rather sad actually to have young kids exposed to this type of lifestyle at such a young stage in their life.  So, now I always tell people when they visit Paris, or other cities like Rome or Barcelona, to never have their purse of bag outside of their eyesight when they are on the metro, near a touristy site such as the Eiffel Tower, or in a big crowd of people. 

Another thing happened to me today.  I live near a pretty touristy area, but I thought that it was a sign that it would be relatively safe since there are always people around.  I was withdrawing money from my bank.  Just after I had entered my pin code, a young man held up a piece of paper on the screen and started mumbling stuff.  I told him to leave me alone but he wouldn't stop.  I started to get nervous at this point.  At the same time a young French lady came up and told the guy to leave me alone or she's going to call the police.  He still wouldn't budge, and she started dialing her phone.  The guy ran away, and I realized that 300 Euros had came out of the ATM, when I had not specified the amount I wanted.  It was obvious that he had done something to the machine while trying to distract me with the piece of paper.  A few seconds after, the police came.  She explained the situation to the police, and he informed me that his colleague is going to go after the guy and see if he actually took any money from me.  I waited a few minutes with the police officer (and this is when I had to be somewhere in the next hour!).  He informed me that all seemed fine, his colleague didn't find any big sum of money on the guy.  I guess I was extremely lucky that the French girl had intervened, or who knows, I would've ended up losing 300 Euros!! 

So with these experiences, am I considered lucky?  It was bad luck to encounter these events, but at the same time lucky that nothing really was lost?

Needless to say, what a great way to start 2012.

2 comments:

  1. As I've read on many forums, this is a rather common phenomenon in Paris, especially in crowded and touristy areas. Some suggestions if you're ever in Paris. Never take money out of an ATM machine on the outside. And if something like this happens to you, tell your bank immediately to either change your card or code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 euros! I mean, thank goodness for the French girl on hand to help out - I guess, yeah, that counts as sort of lucky? But seriously, the idea that someone could somehow programme the machine to do that, with you being RIGHT THERE, is really a long way from ideal. I've decided the new year starts with the dragon, though. Seriously, who needs January 2012? Happy New Dragon Year!

    ReplyDelete